Thursday 2 June 2011

Knowledge, wisdom, and a lack of hand-eye coordination...

Over the last couple of weeks I have been coming to something of a worrying discovery. This is that my four month old son is a little smarter than both me or my husband.

For example:

Last night, I put Toby in his cot, turned the monitor on and thought to myself "Ah, we are going to have a quiet night with a spot of dinner." As if reading my mind, Toby opened one eye, looked at me and smiled as if to say "That's what you think..."

Yesterday I put the tomato puree in the cutlery drawer and spilled a glass of wine all over the sofa.

This worries me, mainly because I am supposed to be teaching this child all he knows and helping him grow into a well rounded human being, but this morning I missed my mouth with a spoonful of cereal; how am I supposed to impart knowledge?!

Hopefully I am starting university in September and I wonder to myself, if I have this much trouble functioning now, how will I cope with uni as well? I suppose I will find places to cut back and Toby being in nursery will help. At least if we can't teach him to eat without throwing food all over himself, us, and various kitchen appliances, he may have some good influences from elsewhere? In fact, maybe he could show us where our mouths are and how to drink from a cup without spilling the entire contents down my top and into my bra.

I wonder what else he could teach us? Presumably at the moment he could teach us how to spend most of the day sleeping without letting anyone else in the household get more than six hours sleep in 24 hours. That's a skill in itself.

Also, I like to think of myself as up to speed with technology, but I am fully aware that by the time he is five he will be rolling his eyes, calling me stupid, and probably hacking into the mainframe of some giant company with one hand whilst choosing music on his iPod with the other. Last week I spent an hour and a half trying to work out how to upload apps to my iPhone without deleting the ones I already had on there. I could just about hear futureToby laughing at me as I wept into my laptop and hovered over the word "Sync" for so long I got cramp in my index finger.

So maybe in answer to my earlier question over what I could do to cope when I am at university, the answer is simple: I'll just get Toby to write this blog for me...

No comments: